The SUSTAINABILITY approach for the CNFL puts it into operation through the consolidation of its environmental policy, its commitments and the development of the business environmental management plan. Understood Sustainability as "that development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs" (Brundtland 1992 Report).
La Compañía Nacional de Fuerza y Luz, SA is a company in the Costa Rican electricity sector, which applies the principle of environmental sustainability in the planning, execution and evaluation of all its processes.
- Contamination prevention: Management plans for ordinary, recyclable and special waste will be designed and implemented in each work center, as well as in the development of work, preventing any form of pollution generated by the activities of the CNFL.
- Compliance with Environmental Legislation: We will comply with the current and applicable environmental legislation, environmental provisions of the energy sector, governmental guidelines and commitments acquired in environmental matters, according to the activities and projects of all areas of the CNFL.
- Environmentally Responsible Acquisitions and Contracting: We will proceed to establish, supervise and comply with the environmental conditions for the acquisition of materials, equipment, services and construction of works required by the CNFL.
- Implementation of the Environmental Management System: We will develop the Environmental Management System, in accordance with the requirements of the Standard INTE-ISO 14001: 2015, for the processes of production, distribution and commercialization of electrical energy, including support services, integrating in it the criteria of efficient use of the resources, quality and labor security, in a process of continuous improvement throughout the CNFL.
- Social responsability: Plans will be made and implemented community development actions, control of environmental impacts, environmental conservation and sustainability in the use of resources in the communities of the river basins, territories of interest and area served, allocating the necessary resource and helping in the improvement of the quality of life of its inhabitants.
Commitments of the Integrated Management System (SGI)
The CNFL workers responsible for generating, distributing and marketing electric power, as well as the businesses and activities defined in the Integrated Management System (SGI), are committed to managing the processes, based on the following principles:
- Sustainability in the company's operations, including environmental protection, pollution prevention and carbon neutrality.
- Occupational health and safety to safeguard the integrity of the company's employees.
- Social responsibility for understanding the needs and expectations of interested parties.
- The integral management of productive assets throughout their life cycle
We will ensure compliance with legal and technical requirements, internal control, risk management and continuous improvement in all the actions we undertake.