Who we are?
Compañía Nacional de Fuerza y Luz, SA
We are the public company that distributes and commercializes electric power in the "Great Metropolitan Area" of Costa Rica, founded by the Contract-Law N ° 2 called "Electric Contract" of the 8 of April of 1941 (modified through Law N 4197 of the 20 of September of 1968 and of the Law N ° 4977 of the 19 of May of 1972). Likewise, we are governed by the provisions of the Law on "Strengthening and Modernization of Public Entities of the Telecommunications Sector" N ° 8660 of the 13 of August of 2008 and the rest of the applicable legal system.
Our coverage area corresponds to 932,49 km2, in which a total of 100% electrification is recorded, for a total of 564.010 services billed (clients).
We generate electricity using clean and renewable energies through the following Hydroelectric Plants:
- Bottom Raft Plant: Located in the province of Alajuela, in canton 10 ° San Carlos, district 2 ° Florence.
- Plant Belén: It is located in the province of San José, in canton 9 ° Santa Ana, district 3 ° Well.
- Brazil Plant: It is located in the basin of the Virilla River, province of San José, canton 9 ° Santa Ana, district 6 ° Brazil, 20 km from the capital city.
- Cote Plant: Built approximately 24 km northeast of Canton Tilarán, province of Guanacaste.
- Daniel Gutiérrez Plant: Located in the province of Alajuela, canton of San Ramón, district 8 ° "Los Ángeles", 30 km north of the city of San Ramón.
- El Encanto Plant: In the province of Puntarenas, Acapulco and Pitahaya districts, approximately 3,5 km of the population of Bajo Caliente, downstream on the Aranjuez River.
- Electriona plant: It is located in the province of San José, canton 1 °, district 7 °.
- Second River Plant: Located in the province of Alajuela, canton 1 ° Central, district 9 ° Río Segundo.
- Plant Windows: It is located in the province of Alajuela, in the Central canton, district 5 ° La Guácima.
We also generate electricity through the wind:
- Central Valley Wind Plant: It is located in the district of Salitral, canton of Santa Ana, in the province of San José, specifically in the upper part of the mountain range between the Tacuacorí Hill in Corralar, at 1.800 m above sea level.
Source: Energy Generation Directorate - CNFL